RE: Server failures

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:32:40 -0400

David,

I follow the same approach for all Windows databases (around 40) under my support. By this way we know much more about database server then the SA of those servers. So may times we have to bring into their knowledge possible issue which may impact database performance.

Regards
Rafiq

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:11:11 -0400From: david.barbour1_at_gmail.comTo: Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.comSubject: Re: Server failuresCC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Actually, although it's probably somewhat of a pain in the butt particularly if you've got other things happening, asking you to figure out what caused the crash is probably a compliment. We're set up similar to the organization outlined by Don in his reply. Actually, Oracle isn't paying my mortgage, all the applications the users are really happy with that are running on the database management has chosen for reliability and stability are. To keep the users and management happy, I have to know a lot about the application. To keep my database functioning properly, I have to know a lot about the OS and hardware. Lots of times, the server folks don't know what happened and the application folks don't know what happened. As DBAs we're in a somewhat unique position to see all sides of the issues and many times point out salient things others may have missed. On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

Perhaps I should clarify. I did take a look through the logs and pointed them to the event viewer items reporting the POST errors and the restart time along with the event ids. (Windows Server 2003)

So I didn't mean to imply that I didn't look through the logs at all. Now I'm being asked to diagnose the problem it seems.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) [mailto:Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:34 AMTo: Taylor, Chris David; ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Server failures

Chris,

Why would you not want to take a cursory look around? It could be as simple as looking at the alert logs and saying "Oracle did not report any problems" and then kick it up to the SA's. I know I would do it. Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris DavidSent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:19 AMTo: ORACLE-LSubject: Server failures

So how many of you are responsible for examining your database servers for hardware/software faults when it crashes? Not the database, but the actual machine?

We recently had a server crash that reported problems when it came back up. It has also saved a dumpfile to be examined and it reported problems during the POST routine.

Now I get this email from my DBA manager: (paraphrased)

"Chris,

John [pc/lan mgr] requested that we try to put our finger on what caused MachineA to failover on Saturday. I looked through the logs extensively today [uh huh] and couldn't find anything - can you look around too and see if you find anything?"

-Bob"

(Obviously names changed)

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning....grrrr

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/