RE: Differences between Table Move and table Export

From: Jeremiah Wilton <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:10:37 -0700
> We have tables that are highly fragmented.  We are planning to reorg these
> Our aim is to reclaim the disk space and reset HWM.
> If we use Alter table move, does the HWM get reset

Yes, alter table move resets the HWM. Between exp/imp and alter table move, the latter seems far simpler. However, it would be helpful if you could state more clearly what the problem is that you are trying to solve, what you mean by 'fragmentation,' and your version of Oracle. Depending on the version, there may be other options available to you that can minimize disruption. Please see: MIN10161

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting