RE: Differences between Table Move and table Export

From: <maheswara.rao_at_ubs.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:20:49 -0400

Thanks Jeremiah.

Oracle version: 9i

Regards,

Rao

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremiah Wilton [mailto:jeremiah_at_ora-600.net] Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:11 AM To: Rao, Maheswara; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Differences between Table Move and table Export

maheswara.rao_at_ubs.com wrote:

> We have tables that are highly fragmented. We are planning to reorg these
tables...
> Our aim is to reclaim the disk space and reset HWM.
>
> If we use Alter table move, does the HWM get reset

Yes, alter table move resets the HWM. Between exp/imp and alter table move, the latter seems far simpler. However, it would be helpful if you could state more clearly what the problem is that you are trying to solve, what you mean by 'fragmentation,' and your version of Oracle. Depending on the version, there may be other options available to you that can minimize disruption. Please see:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/schema.htm#AD MIN10161 http://tinyurl.com/4a8emf

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net

Please do not transmit orders or instructions regarding a UBS account by e-mail. The information provided in this e-mail or any attachments is not an official transaction confirmation or account statement. For your protection, do not include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords or other non-public information in your e-mail. Because the information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from disclosure, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer if you have received this communication in error. Thank you.

UBS Financial Services Inc.

UBS International Inc.

UBS Financial Services Incorporated of Puerto Rico