Re: Backup Optimisation and Alexander Fatkulin

From: Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:41:46 -0400

Hrishy,

the article was related to skipping already backed up archivelogs, hence my comment about backup optimization.

Backup optimization often provides the desired effect for most environment but turning it on for the needs of skipping archivelog backups only will require evaluating other things. Say you have a read only tablespaces and you back these up once every 3 months (for offsite shipment, to have reduntant copies, to protect yourself from media aging, etc.) -- turning backup otpimization on will affect how backup for read only tableaspaces are done. Same might apply to your FRA backups to tape.

That's why you usually don't want to trun optimzation on for the sake of skipping up archivelog backups without taking a look at other affected areas first.

hth