Re: Backup Optimisation and Alexander Fatkulin

From: hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:07:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alex

Thanks for the link.
You mentioned something like "it can (and will) affect other things "

I am not a native english speaker and that sentence of your's should it trigger of alarm bells to anyone who is planning to turn on backup optimization on in thier environments ?

on the pythian thread you seem to prefer doing ("more precise thing is to specify “not backed up 1 times”.") modifying the backupscript rather then setting the backup optimization parameter on.

I am not seeing any negative ramifications of turning on the backup optimization on the case outlined by the OP on the pythian thread

regards
Hrishy

  • On Mon, 9/6/08, Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Backup Optimisation and Alexander Fatkulin
> To: hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk
> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
> Date: Monday, 9 June, 2008, 5:14 PM
> please refer to
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28273/rcmsynta010.htm#g1028761
>
> for the list what else backup optimization includes and how
> it determines
> what can be skipped
>
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:30 AM, hrishy
> <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I was reading up the pythian blogs and came across
> this comment by Alex
> > Fatkulin.(I am sure alex is frequenting this list)
> >
> > Can somebody have a look at this thread and explain
> what alex means by
> >
> > Quote Backup optimization is "all or
> nothing" - it can (and will) affect
> > other things Unqote
> >
> > I am curious to know what effect does it have if i
> enable it in my
> > environment and what positive and negative
> implications could there possibly
> > be.
> >

> http://www.pythian.com/blogs/478/plus-archivelog-and-rman-optimization
> >
> > I have a host of 9i and 10g databases