Re: Certifications don't count! (from a good test-taker)

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:21:03 +1000

hrishy wrote,on my timestamp of 10/06/2008 6:26 PM:
> Hi
>
> I was reading a article yesterday about Ruby on Rails (RoR) and whether this technology is really enterprise ready there were many arguments the geeks argued with zeal saying Ruby has this and that etc..There was one guy who said to truly become enterprise class the big dadies of consulting like Wipro BearingPoint ,Accenture etc have to start supporing the language and they have to have architects dedicated to this.
>
> http://duckdown.blogspot.com/2006/03/more-thoughts-on-ruby-and-why-it-isnt.html
>
> The article is there for you guys to read.
>
> Now what does RoR has got to do with Oracle DBA and Certifications well nothing really but there seems to be a slight parallel DBA's dont always make the hiring decisions i know of several organisations where in order to even get in you need to have a OCP no weather a OCP candidate is good or not thats debeatable but the point is having a OCP make you eligible to have face to face with the technical guys should give you the idea of whats in store for you

"in store for me"? Not really, I don't need that sort of job. Nor company. Never did, won't start now. Fortunately, for every place that "requires OCP for an interview", there are hundreds who don't and won't. Where I work now I'd send a resume emblazoned by "certifications" straight to the round archive. In fact, I have done just that a number of times.
Don't get me wrong: I do respect professional accreditation provided by *independent* industry bodies. But one provided - at a price - by a marketing organization or a software/hardware manufacturer? Gotta be kidding!...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto