Re: Manual DB creation in 11g for APEX 3.1

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:14:28 -0400

Try this script to dump the configuration of your embedded PL/SQL gateway: $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/epgstat.sql

Then I'd turn on listener logging and look for errors.

Also, it seems that you can dump HTTP requests and responses with this event:
event="31098 trace name context forever, level 2"

More info here:

On 4/29/08, Rich Jesse <> wrote:
> Hey all,
> The subject about says it all. I'm attempting to fire up a test APEX 3.1
> w/the embedded PL/SQL gateway on a manually created DB in x86
> Linux.
> As per the prereqs in the APEX install docs, I've installed JVM, XDB, and
> Text, using the 10gR2 instructions found on Metalink since I could not
> locate any specifically for 11g. I also verified that PL/SQL Web Toolkit
> is
> installed and meets the version requirement.
> After setting the port to 8080, I see that it appears to be registered
> with
> the Listener. However, trying to surf to port 8080 ends up with a
> "connection was reset" error. I've attempted to bounce the instance,
> listener, and reinstalling APEX to no avail. "netstat -l" confirms that
> the
> listener is using port 8080.
> For a huge caveat, I'm attempting this on a new build of Gentoo. However,
> even if this was on EL5, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I
> couldn't find any pertinent log files in the $ORACLE_BASE tree, including
> the diags directory -- are there any? I'd like to troubleshoot this
> instead
> of the Windowsesque option of reinstalling, this time using <GROAN> DBCA
> see if my manual creation is the issue.
> Thoughts anyone?
> Rich
> p.s. Almost done (*finally!*) with my step-by-step instructions to
> manually
> install 10gR2 replicated OID. Maybe even this week!
> --

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL