Manual DB creation in 11g for APEX 3.1

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:41:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

The subject about says it all. I'm attempting to fire up a test APEX 3.1 w/the embedded PL/SQL gateway on a manually created 11.1.0.6.0 DB in x86 Linux.

As per the prereqs in the APEX install docs, I've installed JVM, XDB, and Text, using the 10gR2 instructions found on Metalink since I could not locate any specifically for 11g. I also verified that PL/SQL Web Toolkit is installed and meets the version requirement.

After setting the port to 8080, I see that it appears to be registered with the Listener. However, trying to surf to port 8080 ends up with a "connection was reset" error. I've attempted to bounce the instance, listener, and reinstalling APEX to no avail. "netstat -l" confirms that the listener is using port 8080.

For a huge caveat, I'm attempting this on a new build of Gentoo. However, even if this was on EL5, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I couldn't find any pertinent log files in the $ORACLE_BASE tree, including the diags directory -- are there any? I'd like to troubleshoot this instead of the Windowsesque option of reinstalling, this time using <GROAN> DBCA to see if my manual creation is the issue.

Thoughts anyone?
Rich

p.s. Almost done (*finally!*) with my step-by-step instructions to manually install 10gR2 replicated OID. Maybe even this week!