Re: Oracle out the door

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 00:02:53 +0800

You've received lots of advice on Oracle SE and Postgres and MSSQL and other products.

However, I don't understand the licencing cost issue here. Are/were you on fixed-term licences and not Perpetual licences ? If licences are perpetual, then the only cost going forward is Support. If 2 of the 89 databases will continue running Oracle, what licence and support need to be maintained ?
If you switch from Oracle to another vendor purely because of "licence cost" shouldn't
management be making the switch based on which vendor offers the best "buy out" to
convert Oracle licences ?

I am not looking at this issue as a DBA but asking what sort of questions have management
asked Oracle and what cost/benefit analysis have they done ?

At 02:39 AM Wednesday, John Thompson wrote:
>Company I work for just announced that we're going to convert all
>but 2 of our 89 Oracle databases to either SQL Server, MYSQL, or
>PostgreSQL. This is due to the high licensing cost. I'm bummed.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html