Re: Oracle out the door

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:21:28 +0100

I like a good rant, but I do have some comments...

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Rich Jesse <> wrote:

> Having added SQL Server 2K/2K5 to my resume in the past year I can offer a
> SQL Server hit list for the seasoned Oracle DBA:
> 10) Regular rebuilding of indexes and reclaiming space.

When I last looked this was 'received wisdom' just as it was in the Oracle world not that long ago.

> 9) Temp "result" tables are the norm for programming.

except of course for stored procedures that return a result set where

create procedure blah (p1,p2)
select ...
from ..
where ..

works just fine. Way nicer that declaring a custom ref cursor type (or sys_refcursor)

> 8) Escalating Blocking Lock City!
> 7) Cursors are evil here.
> 6) Troubleshooting is easy: Reboot

or run sqlprofiler or dump the events to a single trace file along with the events from the appserver- oracle can't do that yet.

> 5) A hier-WHO-cical query???
> 4) Indexes mixed in with table pages ("Charlie Foxtrot" in military
> jargon)

or index organised tables in our world.

> 3) Corrupted pages ("blocks" to the Ora DBA).

> 2) Everything should be in "dbo", right?

nope SYSTEM!

> 1) Welcome to 1990!

really - Oracle 6! I think not.

Niall Litchfield