Re: Oracle DBA future

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:38:06 -0400

Just to reinforce Niall's and other's comments, using different words,
I view the situation like this: I can almost always teach someone the
technical skills, but it is very unlikely that you're going to change
their personality or teach them how to work as part of a team.

In interviewing candidates, I always give more points for someone's ability and interest in learning new things quickly than I do at what skills they have when they walk in on Day 1. Unfortunately, it's relatively easy to figure out what skills they have on Day 1 and quite difficult to measure they're ability to learn quickly--especially in a couple hours of interviewing.

Dan

Niall Litchfield wrote:
I'm with the hiring manager. I'd rather have people in my team that could work sensibly and professionally with the other members of my team, than a technical star who wound everybody, both in the team and customers, up. Technical skills - as opposed to aptitude can be trained and usually justified fairly straightforwardly. Inter-personal skills are a whole different ball game.

Niall

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Best, David <David.Best@cognos.com> wrote:
>This hiring manager listens to the candidate's answers to his
work->situation focused questions, but also watches the body language
throughout
>the question-answer interview.

I hope he has a large pool of DBA's to interview... In my experience,
its hard enough to find one who is technically competent!r

    This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so.  Thank you.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Original text of this message