Re: Oracle DBA future

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:52:18 -0500

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Niall Litchfield <> wrote:

> I'm with the hiring manager. I'd rather have people in my team that could
> work sensibly and professionally with the other members of my team, than a
> technical star who wound everybody, both in the team and customers, up.
> Technical skills - as opposed to aptitude can be trained and usually
> justified fairly straightforwardly. Inter-personal skills are a whole
> different ball game.

I agree with this 100%. I can teach somebody how databases and clusters work but I can't teach them to be teachable. And no matter how smart someone is, there's always new technology and more to learn. Every single one of us is in process - still growing - throughout our entire careers. I don't mind someone a little earlier on the path - provided that they're moving down it and not standing still.

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL