Re: Datafile recovery in datagaurd environment

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:50:11 -0700

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 2:18 AM, hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Copying the datafile over the LAN and then recovering
> it is faster then requesting the tape to be loaded and
> then restore from tape to disk etc..

I guess it depends on the environment.

In a case like this it would be a good idea test just how fast a single file can be retrieved from the backup system.

In our case, the tape libraries are pretty fast, the limiting factor is network latency and bandwidth, not the speed of getting the file from tape.

And yes, I have tested it. Pulling one 100meg file from a set of 32 files takes 5 minutes. For us, that is plenty fast. Maybe not for everyone.

Jared