Re: PL/SQL code to create dBase IV file

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 04:26:55 -0600

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I searched for this this morning. There isn't a lot of call for DBASE file
> creation.

That's pretty much what I've discovered as well, which seem a bit strange to me. It's been a long standing request (problem) in my organization, and I'm sure there has to be other organizations that work similarly. Most of our scientists use desktop ARC GIS, and I guess the file format it uses is .dbf files (besides the shapefile of course), and with so many Oracle systems feeding data to ARC, it seems like somebody would have done this a while ago.

Now I wonder how others do this. Do others go through the expense and trouble of installing and configuring ARC SDE and dedicated map servers or just have their users go through the manual file conversion process or do they just use ODBC? I've tried this approach (ODBC), and I can't get the ODBC to consistently recognize that views are updateable with INSTEAD_OF triggers. Once in a while it works, but usually the ODBC thinks views are just read-only.

--
-- Bill Ferguson