Re: Oracle DBA future

From: Nuno Souto <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:36:17 +1100

Ranko Mosic wrote,on my timestamp of 4/03/2008 1:25 PM:

> Bit defeatist and off-topic, I admit, but I'd like to hear what's the
> opinion on future of our profession and which way to go.

Wish I had a future reading lens as well...

> What I read in trade press is that DBA's and geeks in general can't be
> just technical any more, we must get into business side.

That's been the case for a looong time, not just now.

> What does list think ? If we all must be more business savvy,
> what's the best way to get into it from where we are now ? Data modeling ?
> Suggestions, ideas, thoughts please.

Get a permanent job instead of contract gigs and first time one hits a work problem, try to solve it instead of running away to another gig.

Might sound a bit crude, but long term jobs are not inherited or due: they are made. And it's whoever is in them that has to do the "made" bit.

Just like any other relationship, really.

Hey, it worked for me...

Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia