Re: Oracle DBA future

From: E Rudans <oceheb_at_inbox.lv>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:49:20 +0200

Hello, To my knowledge, understanding business required for long time. Without this understanding hardly possible to tune application and db right. How to understand what exactly to tune &ndash; what is important to business? What backup and recovery strategy to develop? MTTR and MTBF? How company is confident in paying $500K only for oracle database enterprise edition? All this related to dba. Maybe, in that article, what they mean is - better sooner than later? :) On the other hand, there are still loads of pure technical work to do, for example (what first comes to mind): &middot; Developing and advancing backup and recovery strategy &middot; Actual backups testing, restoring and testing &middot; Different crash scenarios modeling and recovery testing &middot; Recovery documentation and testing &middot; Proactive monitoring and analysis &middot; Moving data between test and development, sensual data scrambling &middot; Maintaining security, patching, auditing, logs analysis &middot; New features, new releases, new platforms, docs refresh - etc, etc From my point in view, all this require time and professionals, and if more integration with business is needed, more resources is needed as well (simply add more resources - Grid Era :) Ed Rudans Oracle DBA http://erudans.info Цитирование Ranko Mosic : Hi List, Bit defeatist and off-topic, I admit, but I'd like to hear what's the opinion on future of our profession and which way to go. My experiences: 1995 - Oracle DBA collegaue says: it will all be automated - no DBA's needed ( no real threat, now we know) 1999 y2k, no work, Yourdon predicts y2k/programmer Armageddon; I work both as Oracle DBA and programmer, just to survive 2001/2 we know what happened; IT doesn't matter ( Carr ); that ended too 2007 I experienced firsthand offshoring to India ( works quite well ) What I read in trade press is that DBA's and geeks in general can't be just technical any more, we must get into business side. What does list think ? If we all must be more business savvy, what's the best way to get into it from where we are now ? Data modeling ? Suggestions, ideas, thoughts please. -- Regards, Ranko Mosic Consultant Senior Oracle DBA B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional Phone: 416-450-2785 email: mosicr@rogers.com http://ca.geocities.com/mosicr@rogers.com/ContractSeniorOracleDBARankoMosicMain.html -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Links: ------ [1] mailto:ranko.mosic@gmail.com