RE: Unable to connect to ASM instance

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:09:23 +0100

A possibly better solution is to add a static registration for the asm instance in the listener configuration. This will also allow you to connect remotely to the asm instance, even if the instance itself is down (to start it again). You will indeed need to provide a passwordfile for the asm instance, but if you created the instance via the dbca a passwordfile should already exist.

regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
e-mail: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Finn Jorgensen [finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com] Sent: 26 February 2008 17:16
To: Harvinder.Singh_at_metratech.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Unable to connect to ASM instance

There was a post about this 2-3 months ago. I'm pasting from that post :

ASM instances appear with a blocked status from the 'lsnrctl services' command (see below). To remotely access a 'blocked service' you need to add (UR=A) to the tns connect string (plus you will need a password file for the asm instance).

Tnsnames.ora entry:

ASM1 =
 (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = [hostname])(PORT = [portN]))
(CONNECT_DATA =

     (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = +ASM) (INSTANCE_NAME = +ASM1)
     (UR=A)
   ) )

$ lsnrctl services listener_mynodename

<...>
Service "+ASM" has 1 instance(s).
 Instance "+ASM1", status BLOCKED, has 1 handler(s) for this service...    Handler(s):

     "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0 state:ready
        LOCAL SERVER

Finn

On 2/26/08, Harvinder Singh <Harvinder.Singh_at_metratech.com> wrote: Hi,

We have a 2 node RAC using ASM on Linux AS4 and is working fine except that whenever I am try to connect to ASM instance from client machine or Grid control I get the following error:

ORA-12528: TNS:Listener: all appropriate instances are blocking new connections

Do I need to configure something or we can only connect to ASM instance as "sysdba" user from server machine only?

Thanks
--Harvinder