What does enabled column of dba_services mean?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:07:42 -0800 (PST)

Does anybody know what the enabled column of dba_services mean? Documentation says "[it] Indicates whether this service will be started/maintained by the director (YES) or not (NO)". But I don't know what "director" refers to. I thought this was related to whether a service could be auto started when the instance was started. But I've never seen a service whose enabled value is 'YES' (or equivalently sys.service$ having an odd number under the flags column). `srvctl enable/disable service' does not change this value.

In case this matters, we're using Oracle 10.2.0.3, RH Linux, RAC.

Yong Huang

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs