Re: Oracle VM ?

From: J Buchanan <oracle_at_digistar.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:52:10 -0500

On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Ted Coyle wrote:

> I don't think Oracle's VM will catch on. Has their Linux os?
> Maybe it will, but Oracle is starting to look like it is going to
> collapse
> under its own weight. One company owning every single layer can't
> be good.
> Big has its advantages, but it is hard to maneuver.

Geesh, so negative. ;-)

OEL5 is great. It's RedHat with Oracle's logos. Linux fanatics will find that they have to do a little work to build a yum repository but ho hum. Purchase a $99/year ULN support contract and you can build out a machine ready for Oracle with a single command "up2date oracle- validated" (11g requires a minor tweak). All OS and Database support handled through a single vendor. Once upon a time, I had to deal with a RedHat issue on HP blades - I had to open the ticket with HP who opened a ticket with RedHat and then jointly opened a TAR with Oracle. It was a huge nightmare. Those days are over with OEL.

regards, Jason