Re: Oracle VM ?

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:37:07 +0000

Test/experiemental DBs are very important to mid to large size shops. I have been on teams with 30+ dev/test databases. If you can just clone your VM and copy it plus your OS install, this significantly reduces administration time. We are using Parallels VMs in development so that developers can get their own environments complete with DB, OS, application install to test against. It has been very useful.

Also, if you look on the VMWare website it appears that there are quite a few shops buying VMWare to using on production systems and slice up servers. Sun Microsystems new 8 core chip supposedly can run 64 Operating Systems at Once(I would bet the performance would be pretty bad).

So on small to mid-size DBs, there can be cause to use this in production. Some DBs may be on Windows and some may be in solaris, or Linux. You can run all 3 off of one expensive server.