RE: How much I/O service time?

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:05:01 -0500

No, not ASM--double striping is Symmetrix (36 GB LUN consisting of stripes across 4 9 GB spindles), plus Veritas striping across the 36 GB LUNS. Storage folks say that this involves considerable additional cost. It will no doubt improve performance, but I'm trying to determine if we're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Securities Processing Databases Americas One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: Taylor, Chris David [mailto:Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com] Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:00 AM To: Baumgartel, Paul
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: How much I/O service time?

I assume you're talking about using ASM disk groups with hardware striping and then striping again within ASM?

HP has a paper on this at:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/downloads/4AA0-9728ENW_ASM_EVA_Best _Practices_White_Paper_final%20121806.pdf

Obviously this is using their hardware but it deals with double striping and their findings.

I haven't checked the stats for our systems, but I don't believe I would ever be opposed to implementing something that would allow additional throughput unless there were inherent risks that outweighed the increases.

Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company

Nashville, TN 37205

Office: 615-517-3355

Cell: 615-354-4799

Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Baumgartel, Paul Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:35 AM To: oracle-l
Subject: How much I/O service time?

For your busiest and most critical production systems, how much of total database service time (Top 5 Timed Events in Statspack or ASH reports) is I/O: db file sequential read, db file scattered read, db file parallel write?

Some people at my shop want to move to double striping on the new server we'll be moving to, on the grounds that we'll need it when volumes grow from the current 2 or 3 million trades/day to as many as 10 million. At the moment, db file sequential read and db file parallel write typically total about 15% of total database time, which I think is acceptable. I just need a reality check, so any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,

www.credit-suisse.com <file:///\\www.credit-suisse.com>