RE: oracle/solaris 10 memory and swap

From: Goulet, Dick <richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:34:09 -0400

General Unix rule of thumb is that swap must be twice real ram. That's been around for a VERY long time & never fails. BTW: from the Oracle Solaris installation manual:

2.2 Checking the Hardware Requirements

The system must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:

RAM Swap Space

Between 1024 MB and 2048 MB

1.5 times the size of RAM

Between 2049 MB and 8192 MB

Equal to the size of RAM

More than 8192 MB

0.75 times the size of RAM

*

That comes to 12GB in your case.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com Fax: 508.229.2019 / Email: richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com 45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience