RE: oracle/solaris 10 memory and swap

From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez_at_sivsa.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:46:12 +0200

Andrew,

>My sysadmin says 8g swap is plenty. Before I ask him to show me his
Oracle dba credentials, can someone point me to a somewhere that has more informatiion on this.

I runned a 9207 RAC on Solaris 9 64bits, with vxvm also and suncluster 3.0 (2-node), DISM configured and used, and have in the past problem due to swap shortage.

Sorry I cannot tell you specifics abot Solaris 10 (for the shmmax settings), but based on the previous experience, allocating 12 Gbyte of swap for a 16 Gbyte node is not unreasonable at all.

If the sysadm gets picky about this, tell him to put in writing the decision :-)

alvaro