RE: Sql Developer

From: Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber_at_umb.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:30:36 -0500

You should try golden32 and pledit32. Go to www.benthicsoftware.com

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:02 PM
To: DennisCutshall_at_mail.und.nodak.edu
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Sql Developer

Dennis,

We recently switched all our developers from TOAD to SQL Developer for economic reasons. To date, they haven't found any functionality lacking in SQL Developer that they had in TOAD that was critical to development success. All the grumbling I heard was due to their lack of familiarity with the product. Those who switched early (we gave them 3 months before the switch) are happy with SQL Developer and have found it to be superior in some ways. Personally, I like the query builder tool since I haven't memorized all the column names in all the tables. Oracle patched the query builder in April or May so a user who has privileges on another users tables can drag and drop them in query builder. I've done some charts using the tool as well, which simplified presentations I was giving. No need to port the information to Xcel. I'm sure it has other interesting features, but I haven't had as much time as I would like to play with it.

We didn't have any security issues. Passwords are strictly controlled in production and privileges are reviewed on a monthly basis to ensure no one was "accidentally" given privileges they shouldn't have or not granted privileges they should have. In the development environment, developers are restricted to the same privileges as the production schema to mimick what it can and can't do. Our test environment is set up the same way.

Sandy

        We are looking at using Oracle's SQL Developer as a development tool. Does anyone have any experience with this product? If so, please pass on your findings. We are particularly concerned about security. We noticed that any user e.g. Scott, can look at many of the objects in SYS and SYSTEM. Is this a concern, or are those normally public?

        Dennis

	Dennis Cutshall
	Data Base Administrator
	University of North Dakota ITSS
	Phone: (701) 777-4109
	Fax: (701)777-3978
	E-Mail: DennisCutshall_at_mail.und.nodak.edu

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system. Thank you.