Re: Something is filling up my /oracle file system - URGENT

From: Manjula Krishnan <oradba.la_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:40:36 -0500

Support is thru the vendor. And it sucks. Last week we had major power failures. The UPS died and everything crashed hard. One database was complaining about inconsistent control files, so I comment out the other control files and was able to bring up with one of them. Another database would not come up and long story short I put in a call to the vendor because I figure let them fix this at 3:00 am since they won't buy me the support I ask for. This analyst calls me and I explain what I had done with the other database. He says, I will look into it and call u back. And then I call him again to check the status, he says I will try one more thing before I call the DBA on call. I say what? He says "I will copy the control file from DBWORKING to DBNOTWORKING and try to bring it up". So, I said "CALL THE DBA NOW, DO NOT DO THIS". If I had not done that he would have killed our production databases.

That is sadly the kind of support we get. For 3 years now I have been trying to at least convert one of the licenses to Full Use so we can buy support but no luck.