Re: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:58:53 UT

Ryan

Lot of ideas have been given about this thread. Autobackup is one good concept. It is preferred you put the dbid as part of the media handle or wherever you can plug that in.

If you have the logfile, you can restore the control file as

rman nocatalog , connect target, set dbid , restore controlfile from 'cf_respective_handle';

This will give you a good starting point. Then etc and restore the db.

Optionally you can backup/restore your spfile too

[1]http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcmsynta46.htm#93304

If you do not have backup of the init.ora /spfile you would need to create one.

HTH GovindanK

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:42:39 +0000, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net said:

I am using RMAN without the repository. I want to plan in case we have a total site loss and all I have left are my tape backups which are all compressed backupsets.

So my control files with my catalog are gone. What do you recommend as the best way to recover if this happens? Should I backup my control files seperately on top of the backupset? Should I do backup controlfile to trace?