RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:42:39 +0000

I am using RMAN without the repository. I want to plan in case we have a total site loss and all I have left are my tape backups which are all compressed backupsets.

So my control files with my catalog are gone. What do you recommend as the best way to recover if this happens? Should I backup my control files seperately on top of the backupset? Should I do backup controlfile to trace?