ASM Dependency on VIP and 10.2.0.3

From: Naqi Mirza <naqimirza_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:19:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Currently running 10.2.0.2 RAC with ASM. I have 2 questions (hoping someone has experienced this):

  1. A public network failure results in a relocation of the vip. The relocation of the vip results in the corresponding asm instance shutting down, which in turn stops the rdbms instance associated with it. There is a workaround in metalink, that discusses how to remove this dependency (for releases under 10.2.0.3). I was wondering if anyone has used this workaround? I also wanted to know if once this dependency has been removed, and there is a public network failure - once this (public network failure) is resolved does the vip automatically relocate back to its original node or does this still need to be done manually. Apparently in 10.2.0.3 once the public network issue is fixed the vip will automatically relocate back - since asm no longer has a dependency it and the rdbms instance will not need to be started.
  2. Can or Has anyone tested public network failures in 10.2.0.3 - does it work as advertised ?

Thanks