Re: Does SELECT start a transaction?

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:21:33 +0000

I think in some databases where reads lock writes, select is considered to lock a transaction. I think SQL Server used to work this way, but with SQL Server 2005 they added some form of Multi-Versioning. Transactions only involve changes to the data.

Mark: I didnt know a select started a transaction when you access a remote object. That is interesting. So you actually get an SCN off a select in the redo logs when you select across a database link? I guess this is for the 3 phase commit process.