RE: What was the WORST session at IOUG/Collaborate or OOW you have ever seen

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

In fact, one of the worst was one of my own presentations too.... It was, I think, the first one I gave at IOUG-A. It was a great topic, but it was terribly disjointed and was not nearly technical enough. I seem to remember seeing Cary Millsap in the crowd and being horrified.

I did somewhat redeem myself later with a better 9i New Features presentation I think though...

Robert

> That was the worse session I ever attended. What
> about you?? No need to name
> names, I'm not looking to embarrass anyone...
>
> RF

> Worst talk ever ? Easy. One of my own.
>
> Early-nineties I gave a talk on best practices to my
> work colleagues.
>
> Fast forward 15 years, dozens of projects, and two
> continents, and voila,
> I'm back in Perth, and I'm working on a project with
> one of my original work
> mates. She pulls out the 15 year old slides and
> tells me how she's
> religiously following the recommendations... you
> know things like checking
> the buffer cache hit ratio, rebuilding her indexes
> regularly, throwing
> bitmap indexes on high activity tables, stuff like
> that...The only positive
> was that I got the bit about bind variables right...
>
> Live and learn I guess...

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>) Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)