What to keep in ASM?

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:52:06 -0600

As part of my 32-to-64-bit server migration, we also want to move our storage to Oracle ASM. However I have some questions about some things going into ASM, and hoping you folks can clear the smoke for me.

  1. RMAN backup files

Currently I take an RMAN backup of our database and archived redo logs to a slab of disk. I then rsync this slab to our development server (for RMAN duplications to refresh dev/QA instances) as well as a third mirror.

This particular process wouldn't be possible with ASM. The sum of all RMAN backup files is 328G (I do delete expired and obsolete regularly).

Is this something I might want to continue doing to plain old disk?

2. Archived Redo Logs

Actually I don't have an issue with this right now. I backup archived logs to RMAN every 2 hours now anyway.

3. Control File copies

Assuming I'd have a most one copy of my control files in ASM, 1-2 others on normal filesystem. My initial question with this was how does one go about replacing the ASM copy if it gets damanged, since I can't just do a filesystem copy of my other copies anymore. But then I realized that if this happens, then something serious is probably wrong with ASM. Does one do a restore/recovery from RMAN?

4. Online Redo Logs

Similar to #3, the concern is that I can't just do the normal file system cp to replace a damaged log group member from one of its siblings.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Don.