Re: What to keep in ASM?

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:31:07 -0600

Thanks to Ghassan for clearing my head there.

I do have a follow up question with regard to exactly how to perform the migration. I had planned to create a new database/instance on the 64-bit machine, then create tablespaces of the same name as the 32-bit instance, but this time in ASM. Then I was going to use datapump to recreate the objects of the two application schemas.

Is this doing things the incredibly hard way? Should (Can?) I use RMAN to create the new instance from a fresh backup, and the migrate that to ASM after the fact? That would also take care of migrating DB users and privileges for me.

Don.

On 2/23/07, Ghassan Salem <salem.ghassan_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Don,
> if you loose the ASM copy of your CTL or RDO, then you can copy the others
> (if you still have access to an oracle instance using the diskgroup), by
> using the dbms_file_transfer package (or if you configured FTP for that
> instance, look on metalink on how to do this, search on FRP and XDB).
>
> as for duplicating the ASM db using RMAN, you can continue doing this, even
> if the destination is not ASM (you have to set the NEWNAME for each file).
>
> rgds
>

> On 2/23/07, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:
> >
> > As part of my 32-to-64-bit server migration, we also want to move our
> > storage to Oracle ASM. However I have some questions about some
> > things going into ASM, and hoping you folks can clear the smoke for
> > me.
> >
> > 1. RMAN backup files
> >
> > Currently I take an RMAN backup of our database and archived redo logs
> > to a slab of disk. I then rsync this slab to our development server
> > (for RMAN duplications to refresh dev/QA instances) as well as a third
> > mirror.
> >
> > This particular process wouldn't be possible with ASM. The sum of all
> > RMAN backup files is 328G (I do delete expired and obsolete
> > regularly).
> >
> > Is this something I might want to continue doing to plain old disk?
> >
> > 2. Archived Redo Logs
> >
> > Actually I don't have an issue with this right now. I backup archived
> > logs to RMAN every 2 hours now anyway.
> >
> > 3. Control File copies
> >
> > Assuming I'd have a most one copy of my control files in ASM, 1-2
> > others on normal filesystem. My initial question with this was how
> > does one go about replacing the ASM copy if it gets damanged, since I
> > can't just do a filesystem copy of my other copies anymore. But then
> > I realized that if this happens, then something serious is probably
> > wrong with ASM. Does one do a restore/recovery from RMAN?
> >
> > 4. Online Redo Logs
> >
> > Similar to #3, the concern is that I can't just do the normal file
> > system cp to replace a damaged log group member from one of its
> > siblings.
> >
> > Any advice would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Don.
> > --