Re: Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:38:30 -0700

True enough. And I definitely agree with the paractice of limiting access to the (dedicated) database server to DBAs and Sysadmins. (Hmmm... Maybe we could cut out the Sysadmins...)

But what about the backups? (Back to TDE).

Sorry if that has already been pointed out -- I'm joining the thread late.

On 2/8/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote:

> Kevin makes a fair point. I don't know about other shops, but our
> production database servers are dedicated to being database servers. The
> only users who are given logins are sysadmin and dba. I can't think of any
> valid reason that anyone else would need login access on a
> production database server. If you limit the users who have access to the
> servers at all, then you really don't have to worry about the myriad of
> possible local attacks.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
   Senior DBA,