RE: Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:02:40 -0800

But your point is still valid: Neither IBM nor MS will let you download a really usefull copy of their software (DB ones, I mean) without paying for the licence. Oracle does, and they do not seem to be bothered by the undisclosed use.

...I think it is a product dumping play. The Japanese electronics sold in the states in the 80s cost about 3 fold more in Japan. The product dumping was underwritten by "loyal customers" if you will. Once the product acceptance wratched up, so did the price. I think Oracle is doing the same thing. If any reasonable number of the production sites around the world (emerging markets) using unlicensed stuff grew to the point of making it on Oracle's radar, they'll eventually have to pay. Or, they'll run out of workarounds for problems and then be forced to pay up to get a patch...