Re: RMAN Backup Question - FILESPERSET

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:39:30 -0800

What I understand is that RMAN will not split datafiles across backupsets/pieces. Normally, a backupset contains one backup piece, except when the backupset will be larger than what the file system or media manager can handle. In that case, the backupset can be split across multiple backup pieces:

"RMAN will, by default, put the entire contents of a backup set into one backup piece, regardless of the size of the backup set. If you are backing up to a file system or media manager that has a limit on the maximum file size that can be created, then you may need to restrict the size of backup pieces that RMAN will create.To restrict the size of each backup piece, specify the MAXPIECESIZE option of the CONFIGURE CHANNEL or ALLOCATE CHANNELcommands. This option limits backup piece size to the specified umber of
bytes. If the total size of the backup set is greater than the specified backup piece size, then multiple physical pieces will be created to hold the backup set contents."

What I need to be able to do is to put more files into each backupset, not split files across backupsets. In my situation, I have to "trick" RMAN into doing that by setting MAXSETSIZE to a very high number.

Mark