RE: Oracle and DST changes

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:32:50 -0500

Mark,

I will be doing manual upgrades of those timezone files for the databases that do not have any patches also. We have so many DB's that are out of date that the task of upgrading just for this silly patch (we don't have any timestamp data types) is just not worth it. We've decided our risk of data loss is very small.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark Strickland Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:18 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle and DST changes

I just realized that on one of my dev/test servers, Oracle was never upgraded from 10.1.0.3 to 10.1.0.5 (egg on face). There is no DST patch for 10.1.0.3 but I compared the old versions of the timezone files between the two patchsets and they are identical so I copied the new timezone files from 10.1.0.5 to 10.1.0.3 and called it good. The test query does return the correct time. I don't like doing spur-of-the-moment upgrades and this particular server and database are expected to be sunsetted sometime this century, so I decided not to quickly upgrade it. I may decide to do that later.

So, if you have 10.1.0.3 and can't upgrade to a higher 10gR1 patchset, there appears to be a workaround. If I encounter side-effects, I'll be sure to update the list.

Regards,
Mark Strickland