RE: DataGuard

From: Richard J. Goulet <rgoulet_at_kanbay.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:57:50 -0500

Thanks guys, You've given me plenty to read & think upon. What I have to do for a client is have a main database server with a fail over standby in the same data center (they did not want to pay for RAC, LONGGG story), and a disaster recovery standby database in a disaster recovery datacenter 2,000 miles away. The idea is to have either database in the local datacenter be the prime with the other as a standby & the DR site maintained automatically. Looks like I've some fun to have.

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA

45 Bartlett St Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA Tel.: 598.573.1978 |Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795

RGoulet_at_kanbay.com

: POWERING TRANSFORMATION

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark Strickland Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 3:09 PM
To: Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com
Cc: Richard J. Goulet; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: DataGuard

I setup a 10.1.0.3 (now 10.1.0.5) cascaded standby configuration with Primary --> Physical Standby --> Logical Standby. Data Guard still chose to ship the archived logs directly from the Primary to the Logical Standby even though I did what the documentation directed AFAIK. The cascaded approach wasn't a must-have for me and I didn't spend any more time trying to figure out why DG did what it did.

Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA

On 1/15/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

        Never done it, but I think what you are looking for is officially termed "Cascading Standby" or "Cascading Redo Log Destinations" and is documented here:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96653/casc ade_appx.htm

	HTH,
	Brandon
	Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

klogo.gif