Re: DataGuard

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:23:40 -0500

On 01/15/2007 03:57:50 PM, Richard J. Goulet wrote:
> Thanks guys, You've given me plenty to read & think upon. What I have
> to do for a client is have a main database server with a fail over
> standby in the same data center (they did not want to pay for RAC,
> LONGGG story), and a disaster recovery standby database in a disaster
> recovery datacenter 2,000 miles away. The idea is to have either
> database in the local datacenter be the prime with the other as a
> standby & the DR site maintained automatically. Looks like I've some
> fun to have.

I was about to suggest RAC, when I read your email. I manage 9.2.0.8 RAC here in NYC and a physical standby in Louisville, KY. I don't know if Louisville is 2000 miles from Manhattan, but the standby works perfectly. As a matter of fact, last Sunday of each month we switch the roles (3 instances in 4 way cluster are shut down when the primary takes the role of standby database). Unfortunately, with 9.2.0.8 DG broker doesn't work with RAC configurations, so there is no automatic switch-over. Do you know if Oracle 10g supports DG broker with RAC? If Osama kills me, I need my database to switch over automatically, so that I can go to heck without being paged.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com