RMAN to disk and THEN to tape?

From: Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_SunTrust.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:16:17 -0500

Did I remember reading once that RMAN could do a backup to disk and then later carry that to tape?

The purpose of this was that if we wanted to do an older restore, or back up archive logs, RMAN would know that they were now on tape, not disk. When I asked the gang about this, no one was sure about this at all.

Maybe it was a "wish list" item that never materialized?

I glanced through Bob's new RMAN book, but probably don't know what I'm looking for, or maybe there is a special name for the procedure.

I'm also finding that more and more apps want RMAN to disk for faster restore, but there is normally only enough room to do 1 full backup set, so then it has to go to tape and be manual.

I've got the manual, but not sure where this "feature" might be.

Thanks.

Michael Kline
Database Administration
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
Mail Code TOC-7505

1030 Wilmer Avenue
Richmond, Va. 23227
Tel: 804.261.9446 Net: 643.9446

Cell: 804.744.1545
michael.kline_at_suntrust.com <mailto:michael.kline_at_suntrust.com>

Seeing beyond Money(sm)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc. [ST:XCL]