Re: Does anyone use 10gR2 Grid control for enterprise wide monitoring ?

From: Peter Smith <goodjobfastcar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:57:29 -0800

People,

What a coincidence; my installation of GC 10gR2 became non-functional yesterday.

I'm just evaluating it; it does not monitor Production systems.

The install is very new, less than a month.

It's stopped functioning correctly on Dec 12.

It stopped monitoring for Policy Violations and Metric Threshold Violations.

The rest of it seemed to work okay; I could browse various targets I know about.

The fact that it did not notify me that it stopped monitoring seems to be a major flaw or bug.

I posted a simple question to the OTN EM-GC forum:

"Is there a checklist, flow-chart, or set of questions I can use to help guide my efforts to troubleshoot this? "

I got no answers.

I'm curious why Oracle does not provide some kind of utility which can tell me the general state of EM-GC and its various components.

Based on my reading of that forum, capturing this state is up to the DBA who knows about the location of perhaps 10 or more log files.

I poked around in the log files and used a status gathering utility for the agent. It appears that I have a communication problem between the agent and other components.

I do remember that when I installed EM-GC, runInstaller asked me if I wanted to secure communications. I said 'yes'.

So now I'm operating under the assumption that this decision has come back to haunt me.

Yesterday, I walked through some steps I found in the EM Advanced Configuration Guide [ ch 4 Enterprise Manager Security ].

I used the steps to verify that the agent and the oms are communicating securely.

Now, my EM-GC is more broken. It has completely lost contact with all of its targets.

So, my impression of EM-GC is poor. I give the product a D. It does have some nice features for browsing the DB. Otherwise, I'd give it an F.

I do, however, want to become proficient with this product.

Anyway...
Maybe the folks here are sharper than the people in the OTN EM-GC forum.

Here is what I see when I use emctl to tell me the state of my 1 and only agent which resides on the same host as both the EM Database and the oms:

bash-3.1$
bash-3.1$
bash-3.1$  emctl status agent

Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0. Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Agent Version     : 10.2.0.1.0
OMS Version       : 10.2.0.1.0
Protocol Version  : 10.2.0.0.0
Agent Home        : /usr/lib/oracle/xe/gc2/OracleHomes/agent10g
Agent binaries    : /usr/lib/oracle/xe/gc2/OracleHomes/agent10g
Agent Process ID  : 514
Parent Process ID : 499
Agent URL         : https://ow2:3872/emd/main/
Repository URL    : https://ow2:1159/em/upload
Started at        : 2006-12-21 19:35:41
Started by user   : oracle
Last Reload       : 2006-12-21 19:35:41
Last successful upload                       : 2006-12-22 03:11:35
Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far :     0.12
Number of XML files pending upload           :     1550
Size of XML files pending upload(MB)         :    49.99
Available disk space on upload filesystem    :    68.79%
Collection Status                            : Disabled by Upload Manager
Last successful heartbeat to OMS             : 2006-12-22 12:31:41

Agent is Running and Ready
bash-3.1$
bash-3.1$

Does anyone here have any general tips or set of questions which might give some clues on how to troubleshoot this broken implementation?

Notice the status statement:

Collection Status : Disabled by Upload Manager

This looks like a good place to start.

Two obvious questions:
What exactly is 'Collection' and what is 'Upload Manager' ?

...Peter
http://GoodJobFastCar.com