SOLVED: histogram oddity: Height-balanced histograms where NDV < num_buckets

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:27:01 -0500

Oracle Support has finally acknowledged that this is an unpublished internal bug fixed in v11. As no other customers have reported the issue, much less a performance issue, there are no plans for a backport.

The good news is that even though the buckets are mismarked (HEIGHT BALANCED), the density of the column matches that of a FREQUENCY histogram. At least for our situation it does.

--
Charles Schultz