xlC requirement for 10gR2 on AIX?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:59:05 -0500

Hey all,

Getting used to AIX (http://bhami.com/rosetta.html is a huge help!), but I have one little issue that's got my OCD flaring. While applying the July 2006 CPU, I get errors because genoccish looks for the command "xlC". With the latest'n'greatest patchset for AIX 5.3 SP4, the xlC install apparently does not generate a command called "xlC". Upon further checking, the version of xlC in that version of AIX is v6. The Oracle docs recommend v7, which can indeed be downloaded from ibm.com, but the SA can't see a reason to and I have to agree with him. I'm wondering what else could break after installing v7, seeing as v6 is included with the OS SPs.

I don't know of anything running on these boxes that will use OCCI, so I should be able to safely ignore the errors -- for now. I don't like the idea of me having to document yet another "ignore these specific errors specifically for this version" etc.

What I've tried to do is emulate an "xlC" binary by:

$ ln -s /usr/ccs/lib/cpp /usr/local/bin/xlC
$ NLSPATH=$NLSPATH:/usr/lpp/xlC/exe/default_msg/%N; export NLSPATH
$ LANG=en_US; export LANG

This would seem to solve my problems, but I'm now getting errors which would seem to indicate that v6 of xlC may be much more different from the recommended v7:

1506-173 (W) Option mkshrobj is not valid. Enter xlc for list of valid options.
1506-173 (W) Option L/opt/oracle/10.2.0/lib is not valid. Enter xlc for list of valid options.
1506-173 (W) Option lclntsh is not valid. Enter xlc for list of valid options.
1506-297 (S) Unable to open input file /opt/oracle/10.2.0/lib/shr.o. No such file or directory.

Metalink has no articles on these. I realize that the last error is highly likely a result of the first three.

What are other AIX shops doing? Any problems with installing xlC v7? Or are y'all just hacking genoccish?

TIA,
Rich