Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:46:41 -0400

<snip>

I am not sure when it can happen in a real life. Usually you failover when primary is very dead.

<snip>

Hmm. Certainly you do fail over if primary is dead. But my experience is that many more failovers are scheduled for preventive maintenance on the normally primary box. I think it is healthy to regularly failover and back on a regular (but relatively infrequent) schedule when a known duration blimp can be tolerated. Further, this engages your entire staff in making routine transparent network re-routing and all the other issues to use the standby as production (and get back).

I'm curious what others see in the field: Is fail over routine or emergency only? Do you have trouble getting back?

Regards,

mwf