RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better?

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:01:24 -0000

>From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com
>You don't have to rebuild the standby after the primary is
upgraded/patched. Basically, you just install the patch and then let the apply run.

Correct. However if you have has no problem moving hot backup files from primary to standby then you do not need to think about Yet Another Process. Instead you can use just the same well known Create Standby DB Process. Of course it takes more time during which your protection is minimized down to one database. If this is not acceptable then I agree that you have to train to do upgrades with standby in place. But otherwise keep it simple is a good rule.

>You don't even need to rebuild the standby after failover if you have
time/opportunity to do a graceful failover.

I am not sure when it can happen in a real life. Usually you failover when primary is very dead.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer