Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:04:32 -0000

A follow up:
The OS mirror issue means that system admin must unfortunetely be quite involved in the failover process or DBA must take some tasks from sysadmin. I used to work in such an environment, for example, for me as DBA it was no issue to keep in synch and activate all scripts, jobs, etc at the standby machine.

Regarding the routine:

First, if nothing is changed in the *Environment* then one initial failover test is fine.
However if new scripts, jobs are added, database is reconfigured then formally it must be tested again.
Some tests like network rerouting can be actually separated and executed w/o actual failover. It is enough just to restart database :-) for that.

As for routine tests just because to know that standby can be opened then in my expierence it definetely can be opened when need comes. Physical standby operates using fundamental Oracle redo mechanism which is well tested.