Re: 9i Parsing Optimization

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:35:42 +0200

Part of the OCI8 interface is the capability to execute SQL statements without doing defines (for the select list). So you can do an execute and then after that execute you know what the select list looks like (types, sizes), for this an implicit DESCRIBE (which requires a parse) is done, after that a normal regular parse is done. So that could explain the 2 parses in 8. May be that was optimized in oracle9. When you did the defines, one can Fetch the data.

If I remember correctly (talking to some folks from siebels many years ago), they do use OCI (not sure if it was OCI8, but most likely)

Anjo.

On 8/30/06, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't know what technology Siebel Tools uses,
> but your earlier double call may have been a
> "feature" of the ODBC or JDBC or whatever
> driver was between Siebel and Oracle, rather
> than a bit of the application code.
>
> I believe there used to be a feature in the Perl
> driver, for example, that made it do a parse
> call without bind values, followed by an execute
> call with bind values - but if the bind types weren't
> all character, the execute call would require a
> second parse call. It's something like that that
> may have gone away on the upgrade.
>
> Don't ask me to quote specifics - it's a long time
> ago and in another version.
>

> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis