Re: 9i Parsing Optimization

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:58:25 +0100

I don't know what technology Siebel Tools uses, but your earlier double call may have been a "feature" of the ODBC or JDBC or whatever driver was between Siebel and Oracle, rather than a bit of the application code.

I believe there used to be a feature in the Perl driver, for example, that made it do a parse call without bind values, followed by an execute call with bind values - but if the bind types weren't all character, the execute call would require a second parse call. It's something like that that may have gone away on the upgrade.

Don't ask me to quote specifics - it's a long time ago and in another version.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ