Re: Virtual Memory

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:16:21 -0600

Yup. Database processes almost always got whacked... That was my experience, too.

Linux does not preallocate swap, huh? I had never noticed, I suppose because had never bothered to look. I imagine evidence is abundantly clear for anytbody who bothers to look closely enough at "top"... (Or a dozen other things.) I really need to stop relying so much on my sysadmins, I think.

*Sigh*. So the (painful) lessons of history must again be relearned... Somehow, this is not terribly shocking. ;-)

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to watch my Linux boxes more closely. ;-)

--

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead

   Staff DBA,