RE: Veritas CFS, QFS or RAW? Which for High Transaction Load on RAC with Solaris 10/Oracle 10g ?

From: Yasin Baskan <yasbs_at_kocbank.com.tr>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:45:10 +0300

To use Veritas CFS with RAC they provide a package called SFRAC (Storage Foundation for RAC). It includes a cluster server (VCS), a volume manager (VVM) and a cluster file system (VCF). This is fully supported and certified with RAC. As far as I know the current certified version is SFRAC 4.1, 5.0 is out, it may be also certified lately.

QFS was not initially certified with RAC, I did not check if it is now, but I do not know of any sites using it.

I agree that ASM is still a new technology and i heard about some datafile losses in ASM, I do not have the case, it can be just hearsay.

If ASM is out of question, other than a cluster file system the only remaining option is using RAW, for Solaris of course. We are currently using RAC on raw devices on Solaris and we are in touch with Veritas to find out what they offer extra other than the management easiness of a cluster file system.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of VIVEK_SHARMA Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 9:18 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; dbagiri_at_hotmail.com Subject: Veritas CFS, QFS or RAW? Which for High Transaction Load on RAC with Solaris 10/Oracle 10g ?

Thanks Giri for the info.

Qs 1 Has Veritas CFS been tried & tested on very High Hybrid Transaction Loads with Solaris 10/Oracle10g on RAC at production sites?

Qs 2 What Other Filesystems are advisable for a very High Hybrid Transaction Load Setup with Solaris 10/Oracle 10g with RAC?

Qs 3 Is QFS advisable?

Qs 4 Is RAW instead of Cluster FS the last resort?

ASM is still seemingly NEW & probably NOT so much tried & tested as yet with High Load Production sites.

Thanks indeed