Re: Back and a Question

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:21:55 -0700

Anjo,

Welcome back!! (For those of you who don't know, Anjo is "The Man" who introduced the Wait Interface to the world via the YAPP paper! (I think that was way back in 95?)

I believe this flurry is because of two issues: One - SOX (for the US based publicly held companies) and related scrambling to become and stay "security compliant"; Two - the steady increase in attacks against Database enabled/front-ended systems and widely publicized loss/theft of information. The former requires meeting rather stringent controls and periodically test and report that they have been met which needs some "auditor-acceptable" tools. In the latter case as well, you need to have tools that can test end-to-end security and not just at the database layer. As for the talk, both consulting and end user organizations need to talk about DB security, normally as a precursor to finding something workable.

BUT... the issue is this: Implementing security was (and still is!) generally an after-thought. (Aka - "First to Market - security and good design be d***ed"). Once an application is rolled out, there are a bunch of hackers out there whose job it is to break in. Up until a few years ago, hacking was mostly for bragging rights practised among computer nerds. However, when hackers realized that there is $$ involved, it quickly escalated and now attracts all the criminal elements. Hence, organizations are caught between needing to secure both new apps being rolled out as well as existing ones that have already been implemented versus being "first to market" and "easy to use/develop".... This is why you are seeing a lot of talk (to keep auditors/shareholders happy) and less action (unable to change existing apps/procedures without breaking them or building in security right from inception).

As well, there are lots of specific areas within the broader "DB Security" - there is auditing / reporting, penetration testing, log mining, etc., and specific tools out there for each of these areas. You might want to look at the SANS Institure website for starters.

Hope this helps!
John Kanagaraj